Sunday, September 17, 2006

Adaptor Plate Design Considerations

Since the last post, I've decided to design the adaptor plate myself and have it machined locally by a friend. I've been busily working on a design for a while now. I've got the basic idea roughed out, and I'm currently working on turning it into something workable. Here's what I've done so far:

1) I traced the transmission bell housing outline and bolt holes onto a piece of high density cardboard. The next step is to cut this out using a scroll saw and bolt it up to the transmission to see if it will fit. Then, I'll find the approximate location of the shaft and cut an oversize hole for the hub. I will then have an adequate pattern for the profile plate.

The profile plate doesn't have to be perfect, thanks to the way I intend to mount the motor ring. I will drill the bolt holes to mount the motor ring a bit oversize. Then, when I install it, I can tweak its location until it lines up perfectly. I can then drill and pin it to lock it in place.

The motor ring also sets the spacing for the flywheel. This way, I can just cut the profile plate (which is larger than the motor ring, and more tedious to machine to thickness) out of a piece of 5/8" thick aluminum and not worry about thickness.

2) I did some design work on the hub. The most difficult part is actually determining the method of attachment to the shaft. I've considered several options. The two that I've spent the most thought on are the taperlock and the setscrew. At this point, it seems like the taperlock hub would be the best option. There doesn't seem to be a good way to keep a setscrew from loosening under these conditions.

The downside to the taperlock hub is that it's kind of hard to design. I don't know what the dimensions need to be for something like this. For instance, in order for the taperlock hub to work properly, the tapered bushing must be slightly larger than the recess that it fits into. I don't know how much larger it needs to be. I'm slowly getting it figured out. If anyone out there has any information regarding the taperlock hub, I encourage you to let me know through a comment here.

So, that's where I'm at for now. For those who aren't familiar with the taperlock design, I might detail it in another post. Right now, though, it's kind of late at night and I'm too tired to write it. Keep checking back for updates!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

People should learn more about energy alternatives like electric cars. The new ones coming out are way better than gas cars. One of the main electric car companies, Zap, has delivered more than 100,000 electric vehicles (source: www.zapworld.com). EV’s cost 1 to 3 cents per mile to run, compare that to regular cars!