Wednesday, August 30, 2006
After working for what seems like forever, I was finally able to acquire a motor. It arrived on August 24th.
Originally, I was planning to purchase a used Advanced D.C. 9" (FBI-4001) motor, but these cost easily over $1,000. New, they go for about $1,700. If I bought one, I wouldn't be able to buy anything else I needed. So I kept looking. Eventually, I came across a Kostov 72v 9" motor on eBay. I did a little research, and I discovered that Kostov also made a 144v version of the motor, which would be perfect for my project. I emailed the seller and asked if he had any 144v motors available. Luckily, he still had one 144v motor remaining, which he sold me. These motors retail for significantly less than the Advanced D.C. motors, leaving a little room in my bank account for the adaptor plate (the part that attaches the motor to the transmission). I'm pretty happy with my purchase.
Next: ICE Component Removal, Part 1 of 1,000,000 (or so it seems).