Thursday, May 24, 2007


I took the truck out on the road today. It's AWESOME. The first few runs I had some difficulty getting up to speed (couldn't go over 30 or so) but after adding more travel to the throttle sensor it is about as quick as it was as an ICE car. I drove it about 18 miles today, and I've only noticed a decrease of a few volts in pack voltage. I didn't even start with fully charged batteries! I think I'll get pretty good range out of this thing.
So far, I've had it up to almost 50 mph, but I'm sure it'll do 55, no problem. It pulls less than 100 amps at 45, and that's with a somewhat marginal drivetrain (high rolling resistance due to a lightly dragging brake and a few other things). Might go even faster, don't know for sure. It all depends on how many amps you want to draw.
I've got a few issues that I still have to work out. I've got a lot of tweaking to do on the controller and charger (20 amp circuit breaker? I can trip it...), but the most important part is IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, it also makes this great noise like a turbine whine...
I love this thing!!!!!!!!!! And now I'll have all summer to play with it!

11 comments:

Jodi @ Happy House Quilts said...

Hi, i'm from etsy, your mom posted your blog addy. You are incredible!!! Way to go!!! Congratulations!!! Now put it all in your resume and market yourself to get a full scholarship somewhere or go to some business you want to work at some day and see if they offer internships/job/scholarships for your hard work!!!

Kimberly said...

Wow! congrats- that is purely amazing! I hope my boys grow to be as smart and as diligent as you seem to be :)

Kezzaroo said...

I hope youre really proud of all you have achieved here this is just amazing! well done doesnt quite cover it but hopefully the work youve done here will pave the way for future generations and dreams of electric cars becoming a relity sooner than expected! My husband was a VW motor tech back in the states, i have to show this to him hell love it :D

Anonymous said...

THis is EXACTLY the type of action that makes true change happen in the world.

You can teach, inspire, and otherwise promote sustainability through this little project of yours.

Ive helped organize earth day festivals, and other alternative energy fairs - I would market yourself that way - you can make money teaching how to do this!

Offer workshops, and such - now is prime time! Gas and oil will never be cheap again. Let me know if you need help networking!

peace and blessings - Your Mom posted about this on ETSY.

Peace,
Holly
www.hollysrainbow.etsy.com

TrueMirage said...

Fantastic job, great project, and excellent blog!

Brent&Kent said...

Mentoring all alternative fuel vehicles to Bonneville Salt Flats where your efforts will be remembered longer than any place on earth. Pioneering Full Scale Alternative Fuel Motor Sports to Accelerate Future Development of Energy Efficient and Environmentally Friendly Automotive Technologies Shared Internationally at World Famous Salt Flats www.saltflats.com

Anonymous said...

That's a great thing you are doing. Have you thought about taking donations to help your cause? I am sure that there are quite a few people willing to contribute to something like this including my self.

Iulian said...

Hello, I am Iulian from Romania ! And i've got to tell you that I am very impressed about you ! The world is going to change because of people like you! Congratulations ! And i am gonna write an article about this on my www.itnewz.ro wordpress wsbsite.

enviroweek2008 said...

congrats, I am chairman of an environmental foundation in St. Maarten in the Caribbean and if you are interested perhaps we can sponsor you for a stay on our tropical island and convert a car here with our local boys. It would be terrific idea. Think about and you can get back to me on enviroweek@gmail.com
Regards Paul

Anonymous said...

wows... great job andrew !!! greetings from indonesia (i bet you don't know where it is hahahaha)
but your works should be mentioned everywhere.. i mean EVERYWHERE !!!

David said...

Hey Andrew, names David. what was the problem with your set-up when it wasn't going faster than a walk?
i'm looking to make a conversion sooner or later and i'm trying to milk your blog for all its worth.
thanks friend.